The only way to improve at what you do is to reflect upon your actions and strategies. In fact, a reflective method like the What? So What? Now What? can be applied to both your successes and failures. With the What? So What? Now What? reflection, you have the chance to dig deeper and become more aware of the effects that your actions have had.
In this article, we will dive deeper into this reflective method. Moreover, we will go through some examples so that you can find a What? So What? Now What? model of reflection example that suits you. For instance, you will find a What? So What? Now What? example for nursing and some What, So What, Now What? essay examples among others. Let’s get started!
What Is the What? So What? Now What? Reflection
Before we take a look at some What? So What? Now What? essay examples, or even a What? So What? Now What? example for nursing, that are specialized, it will be useful to understand what this method really entails. In essence, the What? So What? Now What? framework is a reflective method that allows you to discover a lesson from your past experiences.
The three main elements that you will find in a What? So What? Now What? example are the three whats. Each one of them adds a new layer that lets you go deeper:
The first “What” tries to describe what happened. For instance, you need to answer questions about what happened, who was involved, etc. In the What?So What? Now What? essay examples, you can also state the initial problem.
The next element is the “So What” part, which is a simple analysis of what happened. In a What?So What? Now What? reflection example, you would need to answer questions about how you felt at the moment, what was the significance, and how it might affect the future.
The final element is the “Now what” question, which tries to uncover a possible way of action. To create a What, So What, Now What? model of reflection example, you need to ask yourself what would you do differently or the same, how would you prevent the situation, and what you have learned from the experience.
When to Use the What? So What? Now What? Model
In reality, a What? So What? Now What? model of reflection example shows great versatility. For example, you can find plenty of What? So What? Now What? essay examples that will help you get started with reflective writing.
Here are some instances, where the What, So What, Now What? reflection will benefit you:
- At the end of a project – when you finish a project, it is the right moment to reflect upon it with a What?So What? Now What? reflection. You and your team members can think about your experience and what you have gained from it by the exercise.
- At the end of a training session – the What?So What? Now What? reflection is a great opportunity to evaluate what you have gained from a training session, and how you can put the new skills to good use. The What? So What? Now What? model for nursing is one of the most common uses of this reflective method.
- When you are facing a crisis – when you are facing some challenges, the model is the thing you need. When your project is threatened and isn’t going according to plan, this method will allow you to find out what happened and what you can do to fix it.
- When you need to use critical thinking – reflective writing is one of the most significant use cases of the What?So What? Now What? model. In fact, you can find numerous What? So What? Now What? essay examples that come from various industries and schools of thought.
8 What? So What? Now What? Examples
Below, we will go through various examples. Therefore, you will find a What? So What? Now What? example that is closer to your case.
What? So What? Now What? Example – 01
The first What? So What? Now What? reflection example comes from the business world. In this, you are the team leader of a web app development team. However, the project was completed with delays, leaving your clients dissatisfied. Therefore, the What? So What? Now What? model of reflection example will look like this:
- The team couldn’t deliver the project within the deadline,
- The project’s quality was lacking.
- Time management proved to be more challenging than expected,
- The team’s reputation was injured,
- The client might not hire you again for future projects.
- Improve your time management by assigning fewer tasks to each team member,
- Communicate with the client to improve their satisfaction.
What? So What? Now What? Example – 02
The following What? So What? Now What? example has to do with the interpersonal relationship between two team members. More specifically, there is tension between two individuals, a thing that might affect the productivity of the whole team.
- During the morning meeting, the two team members got into a heated argument and couldn’t reach a conclusion.
- The tension is apparent the whole day,
- The other team members are picking sides.
- You arrange a private meeting with these two team members,
- You arrange a team bonding event.
What? So What? Now What? Reflection Example – 03
Another great What? So What? Now What? reflection example can be applied to various personal challenges you might be facing. In the case we will be examining, you are a college graduate that struggles to find a job. Therefore, the example will look like this:
- You have applied to numerous jobs but you only get rejections,
- The rejections have affected your self-esteem,
- The industry that interests you is very competitive,
- Your initial approach might not be effective for junior-level jobs.
- Readjust your job posting filters,
- Attend more networking events,
- Find some seminars to boost your skills.
What? So What? Now What? Model of Reflection Example – 04
The following What? So What? Now What? example is one that you can create after a training session. In this What? So What? Now What? reflection example, you are a team leader that decided to attend a leadership training session.
- You have attended the training that included workshops and various activities. At the end of the training, you received a certificate.
- You want to apply the things you have learned in your team,
- You now know what to do to boost your team’s motivation and boost their productivity.
- You are hoping for better results so that you promote your career,
- You could potentially ask for a promotion.
What? So What? Now What? Reflection Example – Nursing
Now we are going to talk about a very specific case, where we use this method within the healthcare system. Therefore, our next What? So What? Now What? example for nursing is about a nurse facing an emergency case.
- There had been a car accident and a patient in critical condition arrived in the emergency room,
- The nurses work together to stabilize the patient’s condition.
- The nurses have learned the importance of communication in situations like this to save patients,
- They recognize that they can’t control the outcome, but they can use their skills to provide the best possible care.
- The nurses need to put themselves through more emergency situations to learn how to collaborate effectively.
What? So What? Now What? Reflection Example – Nursing
Similarly to the previous What? So What? Now What? example for nursing, we are going to examine another one. In this example, we will study a nurse that works in a clinic for elderly patients:
- The nurse attends to an elderly patient who suffers from severe pain due to some chronic illness,
- No matter the medication, the patient is still in distress.
- The nurse realizes that dealing with severe pain is extremely difficult,
- The patient’s condition also distresses their relatives who are concerned about their well-being.
- The nurse decided to do some pain management training,
- The nurse will talk to the medical team to find out whether there is an alternative medication for the elderly patient.
What? So What? Now What? Essay Example
In this What? So What? Now What? reflection example we will see the basic organization for an essay about social media:
- Social media have become an integral part of modern life,
- People get exposed to unrealistic standards that influence their mental well-being.
- Studies have shown an increase in mental health issues, such as anxiety and depression,
- Young people feel lonelier than ever before.
- People need to set some boundaries and reduce their screen time,
- They should recognize that social media posts don’t reflect real life.
What? So What? Now What? Essay Example
In the following What? So What? Now What? model of reflection example, we are focusing on an essay of climate change:
- Climate change has direct effects on ecosystems,
- Climate change causes extreme weather conditions,
- Climate change will affect human society.
- Many animal and plant species will go extinct,
- Humans will no longer be able to use the land for agriculture,
- Social inequalities will emerge.
- Need for individual and collective action.
Key Takeaway: A What? So What? Now What? Template and a One-stop Tool
As you can see, there are numerous What? So What? Now What? essay examples that allow you to dip into reflective writing. The key to doing that is having the right tool at your disposal. Boardmix provides you with a ready-made What? So What? Now What? template that you can immediately use.
By taking advantage of Boardmix’s What? So What? Now What? template, you will be using a professional-looking board with your team. Then, all you have to do is arrange a meeting to brainstorm and exchange what you have learned.
Create your free Boardmix account today to start your reflective journey with a What? So What? Now What? template!